Castle Douglas Self Catering Accommodation
Self catering holiday cottages and accommodation in the Castle Douglas and New Galloway area of Dumfries and Galloway in south west Scotland ...
Information about Castle Douglas can be found below these Self Catering listings.
Self catering accommodation in Castle Douglas:
- Albion House, Castle Douglas
- Apartment 16, Castle Douglas
- Ardencaple, Castle Douglas
- The Byre, Nr Castle Douglas
- Carrick, Castle Douglas
- Garden Cottage, Castle Douglas
- Gate Lodge, Castle Douglas
- In House Garden Flat Castle Douglas
- Simply Suite, Castle Douglas
- Violet Grove, Castle Douglas
Self catering accommodation in the Castle Douglas area:
- Airdside Cottage, Crossmichael near Castle Douglas
- Camp Douglas Cottage, Glenlochar, Nr Castle Douglas
- Drumwhil, Laurieston, near Castle Douglas
- Ramerish Retreat Laurieston, near Castle Douglas
- Rhone Park Steading, Crossmichael near Castle Douglas
- Silver Dee, Crossmichael near Castle Douglas
- The Stables, Laurieston near Castle Douglas
Self catering accommodation in the Kirkpatrick Durham area:
- Arkland Mill, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Barncailzie Lodge,Kirkpatrick Durham
- Gardener's Cottage, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Marwhin House, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Stables Cottage, Kirkpatrick Durham
Self catering accommodation north of Castle Douglas in the Carspairn, Dalry & New Galloway area:
- #4 Dundeugh, New Galloway
- Cleughbrae Cottage, Nr Dalry
- Cumnock Knowes, Carsphairn
- Eco House, Nr Dalry
- Edge Hill, Nr St John's Town of Dalry
- Glenhowl Lodge, Nr Dalry
- Lavender Cottage Carsphairn
- Rose Cottage Carsphairn
- Rowan Cottage, New Galloway
- Sunnyside, New Galloway
- Swallow Lodge, Nr Carsphairn
- Wylies Brae, New Galloway
Coming for a holiday? About the Castle Douglas area
A Traditional market town, Castle Douglas is a great place for shopping, particularly for local food produce.
Castle Douglas is a planned town, founded in the late 18th Century by Sir William Douglas, a merchant who had made a fortune in Virginia and the West Indies and wished to establish a centre of commerce in his native Galloway.
Castle Douglas was laid out with three parallel streets, wide and commodious. Although Sir William’s original idea of establishing the cotton industry here was not in the long term successful, the town soon became an important market, with cattle and horse fairs. It has remained a thriving centre for the prosperous local farming area, the home of the annual Stewartry Agricultural Show and of the Dumfries and Galloway Horse Show, and one of the most modern auction marts in Scotland.
Beside the town is the beautiful Carlingwark Loch, dotted with islands, where visitors can enjoy boating and picnicking, or learn to sail. At the far end of the loch are Threave Gardens, the teaching garden of the National Trust for Scotland, which is open to visitors all year.
On the other side of the A75 road is 14th Century Threave Castle on an island in the River Dee, the great fortress of the Douglases, which can be reached by ferry. Nearby, also, is Threave Wildfowl Refuge, for this area is an important place for wintering wildfowl, where visitors may watch the birds from hides during the winter months.
The Galloway Tourist Route
The A713 runs north from Castle Douglas and is a noted Galloway Tourist Route - active people will find a great deal of enjoyment in this district. The Southern Upland Way passes through here and there are many other hill walks in rugged country which will appeal to serious walkers and those seeking easier strolls and picnics.
Loch Ken has a wide range of outdoor sports available at the Galloway Sailing Centre including rowing boats, sailing dinghies and water skiing as well as fishing.
Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation providers
If you wish to have your site included in these pages please read and complete the add Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation Form.
Self Catering holiday accommodation in Dumfries and Galloway:
Self catering accommodation in Dumfries Town and surrounding area | Self catering accommodation in Moniaive and Thornhill | Self catering accommodation in Sanquhar and Wanlockhead | Self catering accommodation in Annan | Self catering accommodation in Lockerbie and Lochmaben | Self catering accommodation in Gretna and Gretna Green | Self catering accommodation in Langholm | Self catering accommodation in Moffat| Self catering accommodation in Newton Stewart, New Galloway & Galloway Forest Park | Self catering accommodation in Portpatrick and The Mull of Galloway | Self catering accommodation in Stranraer, Luce Bay and Cairnryan | Self catering accommodation in Wigtown, Whithorn and The Machars | Self catering accommodation in Castle Douglas | Self catering accommodation in Dalbeattie and the Coast (Auchencairn, Kippford and Sandyhills) | Self catering accommodation in Gatehouse of Fleet | Self catering accommodation in Kirkcudbright