Castle Douglas Self Catering Accommodation
Self catering holiday cottages and accommodation in the Castle Douglas and New Galloway area of Dumfries and Galloway in south west Scotland ...
Information about Castle Douglas can be found below these Self Catering listings.
Self catering accommodation in Castle Douglas:
Self catering accommodation in the Castle Douglas area:
- Arkland Mill, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Barncailzie Lodge, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Blairinnie, Parton near Castle Douglas
- Burnbrae Byre Clarebrand, Nr Castle Douglas
- The Coach House, Kirkpatrick Durham, Castle Douglas - Tel: 07843 476862
- Craigadam Lodge, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Gardener's Cottage, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Camp Douglas Cottage, Glenlochar, near Castle Douglas
- Marwhin Cottage, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Marwhin House, Kirkpatrick Durham
- Lochenbreck Byre, Laurieston Road, Castle Douglas
- Rhone Park Steading, Crossmichael near Castle Douglas
- Ringanwhey Cottage, Clarebrand, Nr Castle Douglas
- Scottish Cottage, Bridge of Dee, Nr Castle Douglas
- Silver Dee, Crossmichael near Castle Douglas
- Stables Cottage, Kirkpatrick Durham
Self catering accommodation in New Galloway and area:
- Carminnows Holiday Cottage, near St John's Town of Dalry
- Cleughbrae Cottage, near St John's Town of Dalry
- Cumnock Knowes, Carsphairn
- Glenhoul Brae, near Carsphairn
- Glenhowl Lodge, near Dalry
- Greenways Holiday Cottage, New Galloway
- Low Park, New Galloway
- Rowan Cottage, New Galloway
- Swallow Lodge, near Carsphairn
- The Byre, St John's Town of Dalry
Coming for a holiday? About the Castle Douglas area
A Traditional market town, Castle Douglas is a great place for shopping, particularly for local food produce.
Castle Douglas is a planned town, founded in the late 18th Century by Sir William Douglas, a merchant who had made a fortune in Virginia and the West Indies and wished to establish a centre of commerce in his native Galloway.
Castle Douglas was laid out with three parallel streets, wide and commodious. Although Sir William’s original idea of establishing the cotton industry here was not in the long term successful, the town soon became an important market, with cattle and horse fairs. It has remained a thriving centre for the prosperous local farming area, the home of the annual Stewartry Agricultural Show and of the Dumfries and Galloway Horse Show, and one of the most modern auction marts in Scotland.
Beside the town is the beautiful Carlingwark Loch, dotted with islands, where visitors can enjoy boating and picnicking, or learn to sail. At the far end of the loch are Threave Gardens, the teaching garden of the National Trust for Scotland, which is open to visitors all year.
On the other side of the A75 road is 14th Century Threave Castle on an island in the River Dee, the great fortress of the Douglases, which can be reached by ferry. Nearby, also, is Threave Wildfowl Refuge, for this area is an important place for wintering wildfowl, where visitors may watch the birds from hides during the winter months.
The Galloway Tourist Route
The A713 runs north from Castle Douglas and is a noted Galloway Tourist Route - active people will find a great deal of enjoyment in this district. The Southern Upland Way passes through here and there are many other hill walks in rugged country which will appeal to serious walkers and those seeking easier strolls and picnics.
Loch Ken has a wide range of outdoor sports available at the Galloway Sailing Centre including rowing boats, sailing dinghies and water skiing as well as fishing.
Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation providers
If you wish to have your site included in these pages please read and complete the add Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation Form.
Self Catering holiday accommodation in Dumfries and Galloway:
Self catering accommodation in Dumfries Town and surrounding area | Self catering accommodation in Moniaive and Thornhill | Self catering accommodation in Sanquhar and Wanlockhead | Self catering accommodation in Annan | Self catering accommodation in Lockerbie and Lochmaben | Self catering accommodation in Gretna and Gretna Green | Self catering accommodation in Langholm | Self catering accommodation in Moffat| Self catering accommodation in Newton Stewart, New Galloway & Galloway Forest Park | Self catering accommodation in Portpatrick and The Mull of Galloway | Self catering accommodation in Stranraer, Luce Bay and Cairnryan | Self catering accommodation in Wigtown, Whithorn and The Machars | Self catering accommodation in Castle Douglas | Self catering accommodation in Dalbeattie and the Coast (Auchencairn, Kippford and Sandyhills) | Self catering accommodation in Gatehouse of Fleet | Self catering accommodation in Kirkcudbright