Kirkcudbright Self Catering Holiday Cottages
Self catering holiday cottages and accommodation in Kirkcudbright and nearby area (Borgue, Twynholm, Tongland, Auchencairn and Dundrennan) of Dumfries and Galloway in south west Scotland.
Below these Self Catering listings you will find information about the town of Kirkcudbright and surrounding area.
Self catering accommodation in Kirkcudbright:
- 1 Mews Lane, Kirkcudbright
- 2 Burnside Place, Kirkcudbright
- 14 Union Street, Kirkcudbright
- 26 Castle Street, Kirkcudbright
- 30 Union Street, Kirkcudbright
- 57 High Street, Kirkcudbright
- 118 High Street, Kirkcudbright
- Arakhova, Kirkcudbright
- Auchengool House, Kirkcudbright
- Blue Door, Kirkcudbright
- The Blue Door apartment, Kirkcudbright
- The Byre Cottage, Kirkcudbright
- Charming Flat, Kirkcudbright
- Cider Tower, Near Kirkcudbright
- Coorie Away, Kirkcudbright
- Cosy Apartment, Kirkcudbright
- Hameish Holiday Cottage, Kirkcudbright
- High Street Kirkcudbright
- Luxury Apartment, Kirkcudbright
- Mansefield House Holiday Apartments - Apartment C, Kirkcudbright
- Mansefield House Holiday Apartments - Apartment E, Kirkcudbright
- Nathaniel's Cottage Kirkcudbright
- Providence Cottage Kirkcudbright
- Serendipity, Kirkcudbright
- St. Marys Place Holiday home Kirkcudbright
- Stockman's Cottage, Kirkcudbright
- Townhouse Kirkcudbright
- Union Street, Kirkcudbright
Self catering accommodation north of Kirkcudbright in Twynholm, Tongland and nearby:
- Arden Cottage, Twynholm near Kirkcudbright
- Camphill, Nr Kirkcudbright
- The Fish House, Tongland, near Kirkcudbright
- Glenauld Cottage,Tongland, near Kirkcudbright
- Glenterry Farmhouse, Nr Kirkcudbright
- The Steading at Castle Creavie Farm, Nr Kirkcudbright
- Tarff Church, Twynholm near Kirkcudbright
Self catering accommodation south and east of Kirkcudbright in Auchencairn, Dundrennan and nearby:
- Balcary Mews Cottage, Auchencairn
- Barcloy Honey House Nr Kirkcudbright
- Barcloy Milk House Nr Kirkcudbright
- The Cheeseloft, between Kirkcudbright and Dundrennan
- Collin Hill House, Auchencairn
- The Drover's Cabin, Dundrennan near Kirkcudbright
- The Haybarn, between Kirkcudbright and Dundrennan
- The Kites Rest (luxury tent), between Kirkcudbright and Dundrennan
- Long Cottage, Auchencairn
- Luxury Cliff Top Tower, Nr Auchencairn
- The Nook at Balcary, Auchencairn
- Orroland Holiday Cottages, Dundrennan near Kirkcudbright
- The Steading at Nabny, Dundrennan near Kirkcudbright
- Tower Lodge , Auchencairn
- Wickerman Granary, Nr Dundrennan
Self catering accommodation west of Kirkcudbright in Borgue & area:
- Alma Cottage, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Beltie Lodge, Knockbrex near Borgue
- The Bungalow, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Chapeltoun Coachmans Cottage, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Chapelton Cottage No 1, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Chapelton Cottage No 2, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Crawford's Cottage, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Dunrod, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Fish House, Nr Kirkcudbright
- Gullieside Cottage, Near Borgue
- Ingleston Farm Cottages No 2, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Meggerland, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- Rosebank Cottage, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- The Soup Kitchen, Borgue near Kirkcudbright
- The Vital Spark, Knockbrex near Borgue
Coming for a holiday? About the Kirkcudbright, Auchencairn, Dundrennan, Tongland and Twynholm area
Historically Kirkcudbright was an important gateway to the sea, though today its picturesque harbour is largely a haven for small fishing boats.
A lively town with many summer festivities, Kirkcudbright can also offer good river-fishing, sea-angling and golf. Much of the town has wide 18th Century streets, many pastel-coloured houses and numerous flowerbeds, all creating a light and spacious air.
Long a centre for craft workers and artists, the Tolbooth Art Centre tells the story of Kirkcudbright artists’ colony. Australian-born painter E. A. Hornel (1864-1933) lived in Broughton House whose gallery is open to the public, and the Harbour Cottage Art Gallery hosts temporary exhibitions.
Before dining with Lord Selkirk, Robert Burns wrote his ’Selkirk Grace’ at the Selkirk Arms Hotel, and Dorothy L. Sayers set her thriller ’Five Red Herrings’ in and around Kirkcudbright. The Stewartry Museum is the repository of local social artefacts and natural history exhibits.
Incongruously, the ruins of forbidding MacLellan’s Castle, a 16th Century tower house, sits in the centre of town. The 1610 market cross still stands, as does the ancient Tolbooth with its ’jougs’, iron manacles to which thieves and those suspected of heresy and witchcraft were attached for public beatings.
Twynholm lies two miles north west of Kirkcudbright. Settlement here can be traced back to Iron Age times and in the 18th and 19th Centuries it was a busy place with a corn mill, sawmills and a centre for blanket and tweed weaving. After centuries lying on the main road from Dumfries to Stranraer, it became a more peaceful village in 1973, when the line of the main A75 was changed to pass just north of Twynholm rather than through its centre.
Close to Kirkcudbright, Tongland is dominated by the Tongland Hydro-Electric Power Station, with a fish-pass for salmon. The bridge was designed by Thomas Telford.
To the south-west of Kirkcudbright is the 12th Century Dundrennan Abbey where Mary Queen of Scots is reputed to have spent her last night in Scotland. Within the graceful ruins is a macabre stone effigy of an abbot with a dagger through his neck and at his feet a disembowelled man, possibly killed while assassinating the abbot. Dundrennan itself is an attractive village, built partly of stones taken from the Abbey in the past.
On the coast road from Kirkcudbright to Dalbeattie, Auchencairn, is a small picturesque villageof whitewashed stone cottages close to the head of Auchencairn Bay. It dates from the early 17th century and once gained notoriety for smuggling.
Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation providers
If you wish to have your site included in these pages please read and complete the add Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation Form.
Self Catering holiday accommodation in Dumfries and Galloway:
WEST: Self catering accommodation in Stranraer & Cairnryan | Self catering accommodation in Portpatrick and The Mull of Galloway | Self catering accommodation in Newton Stewart & Creetown | Self catering accommodation in Wigtown & Whithorn |
CENTRAL: Self Catering in New Galloway & The Galloway Forest Park | Self catering accommodation in Gatehouse of Fleet | Self catering accommodation in Castle Douglas | Self catering accommodation in Kirkcudbright
DUMFRIES: Self catering accommodation in Dumfries Town Centre & nearby | Self catering accommodation in Thornhill, Moniaive & Penpont | Self catering accommodation in Sanquhar and Wanlockhead | Self catering accommodation in Dalbeattie and the Coast (Kippford, Rockcliffe & Sandyhills)
EAST: Self catering accommodation in Moffat | Self catering accommodation in Lockerbie & Lochmaben | Self catering accommodation in Annan | Self catering accommodation in Langholm | Self catering accommodation in Gretna and Gretna Green