Dumfries Self Catering Accommodation
Self catering holiday cottages and accommodation in Dumfries town centre and in the Dumfries area (Glencaple, Caerlaverock, Carsethorn, Kirkbean, Southerness, Dunscore, Dalswinton, New Abbey, Beeswing and Crocketford) of Dumfries and Galloway in south west Scotland.
Self catering accommodation in the Dumfries area:
- Alderneuk Lodge, Dumfries
- Belmont Cottage, Dumfries
- Brooms Road 48 Dumfries
- Burnfoot of Cluden, Nr Dumfries
- The Burns Apartment, Dumfries
- Burnside, Nr Dumfries
- Central Apartment, Dumfries
- Central Dumfries Dumfries
- City Centre Apartment, Dumfries
- Criffel Cottage Dumfries
- Dumfries apartment, Dumfries
- Dumfries Central apartment Dumfries
- Flat 18, Dumfries
- Glebe Cottage Dumfries
- Hetland, Nr Dumfries
- Laurieknowe Coach House, Dumfries
- Mill Cottage Studio, Nr Dumfries
- Milnhead Cottage, Nr Dumfries
- Netherwood Lodge, Nr Dumfries
- Nith Villa, Dumfries
- The Old Stables, Dumfries
- Private Apartment Dumfries
- Ridge View Lodge, Nr Dumfries
- River View, Dumfries
- (Another) River View, Dumfries
- Stable Retreat, Nr Dumfries
- Stylish Georgian 1 Bedroom Apartment Dumfries
- Stylish Georgian Period Flat Dumfries
- Terraughtie Cottage East, Dumfries
- Town Centre Apartment, Dumfries
- Two Bed Apartment, Dumfries
- Victoria Avenue #3, Dumfries
- Woodend Cottage, Dumfries
Self catering holiday cottages south of Dumfries in Glencaple & Caerlaverock:
- Bankswood Cottage, Caerlaverock, Dumfries
- Conheath Gatelodge Cottage, Glencaple Dumfries
- The Curve, Caerlaverock, Dumfries
- Erriff at Caerlaverock, Glencaple Dumfries
- Gullsway, Glencaple Dumfries
- Jocks House, Near Glencaple Dumfries
- Martha's Shore Cottage, Glencaple Dumfries
- Shorepark, Glencaple Dumfries
Self catering holiday cottages south of Dumfries in Southerness, Kirkbean and area:
- Arthurs Cottage, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- The Auld Byre, Carsethorn Dumfries
- Beachcomber Cottage, Southerness Dumfries
- Beachcombers, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Coachman's Cottage, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Criffel Glen, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Drumbuie, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Drystanes.Southerness Dumfries
- Firth Lodge, Carsethorn Dumfries
- Grooms Cottage, Carsethorn, Dumfries
- Jura, Southerness Dumfries
- Lapwing, Skylark & Curlew Seaside Chalets, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Little Dunbar Cottage, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Mardan Southerness Dumfries
- North Corner, Carsethorn, Dumfries
- Old Kiln Cottage, near Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Powillimount Cottage, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Quare Place, Southerness Dumfries
- Sandpiper, Southerness Dumfries
- Seascape, Southerness Dumfries
- Shore Cottage, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Simmer Dean Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Solway Cottage Southerness Dumfries
- The Stables, Kirkbean, Dumfries
- Sunset Retreat Lodge, Carsethorn, Dumfries
- West Lodge, Southerness Dumfries
- The Wigwam, Southerness Dumfries
Self catering holiday cottages north of Dumfries in Auldgirth, Dalswinton and Dunscore:
- The Annex, Newlands House, Nr Dalswinton
- Auld Acquaintance Cottage, Nr Dalswinton
- Boreland Farm, Dunscore, Dumfries
- Collieston Cottage, Nr Dunscore, Dumfries
- Converted Mill, Nr Dunscore, Dumfries
- The Cottage, Auldgirth, Dumfries
- Greentops, Auldgirth, Dumfries
- Laundry Cottage, Dalswinton
- The Mews Flat, Dalswinton
- Park Lane, Auldgirth, Dumfries
- Rural Cottage, Between Dunscore and Auldgirth, Dumfries
- The Wee Byre, Dunscore, Dumfries
Self catering holiday cottages west of Dumfries in the Crocketford, Beeswing & New Abbey area:
- Abbey Green, New Abbey, Dumfries
- Abbeybank Lodge, New Abbey, Dumfries
- 'Amazing' Cottage, Nr Crocketford, Dumfries
- Craigadam Lodge Crocketford, Dumfries
- The Glen Farmhouse, Nr Crocketford, Dumfries
- The Granary, Nr Crocketford, Dumfries
- Kestrel Lodge, Beeswing, Dumfries
- Knockendoch, Near New Abbey
- Shaw Cottage, Near New Abbey
- Woodburn Lodge, Beeswing, Dumfries
- Woodend, Beeswing, Dumfries
- Woodrow, Beeswing, Dumfries
- Woodview, Beeswing, Dumfries
For self catering accommodation in the Ruthwell, Clarencefield and Carrutherstown area please see Annan Self Catering.
Coming for a holiday? About Dumfries town and area
Queen of the South, Dumfries, is the lively and attractive capital town of Dumfries and Galloway.
Although little is left of the medieval town, Dumfries has long been the main centre of this region, having been given the status of a royal burgh as long ago as 1186.
The medieval town was situated between the wide River Nith, which flows through the modern town, and the old red sandstone bridge, which dates back to the 15th Century, and once provided an entrance with a toll house at the far end. Known as Devorguilla’s Bridge, it was here that the Lady Devorguilla de Balliol had the first bridge built, probably of timber, in the 13th Century.
In former years ships were able to navigate the Nith, and it was the Dumfries merchants who built the lighthouse at Southerness in 1749. In the 18th and 19th Centuries the quays downriver at Kingholm and Glencaple were still busy with ships trading to North America, the West Indies and the Baltic.
In the centre of the town is the Midsteeple, completed in 1708 to provide a meeting place for the town council as well as a courtroom and prison. A plaque on the outer wall gives the distances to other towns and cities to which the people of Dumfries might have wanted to travel in the 18th Century.
A statue of Robert Burns overlooks the town’s High Street, for it was in Dumfries that the poet spent the last five years of his life. Associations include the simple sandstone house where he lived, the tavern (The globe Inn) where he spent much of his time, and his tomb, as well as a splendid Robert Burns Centre in an old sandstone mill building by the river which tells the story of the connections between the poet and the town.
Dumfries is well provided with museums and libraries which help to illuminate its history, and there is also a fascinating camera obscura which projects a moving panoramic view of the district, and an arts centre showing the work of local and contemporary artists.
The town is a good centre, offering the visitor all the facilities expected of an important town, including a swimming pool, parks, two golf courses, nightclubs, film theatre in the Burns Centre, and discos, as well as good shopping and branches of major stores.
Close to Dumfries is Mabie Forest with cycle routes, walks, a picnic area and a high ropes course and slightly further afield are:
Beeswing is south of Dumfries and is an interesting 19th Century planned estate village in a good area for bird-watching. Most notably Beeswing is famous for its Loch Arthur Creamery which produces hand made prize winning cheeses, traditionally made from organic milk.
Slightly further south, New Abbey boasts an attractive wooded situation by the Pow Burn. Famous for the ruins of Sweetheart Abbey (pictured). Additional attractions include the working 18th Century New Abbey Corn Mill and the Shambellie House Museum of Costume.
North of Dumfries, Dunscore is situated in the fertile farming area around the Cairn Water. Here Robert Burns set up a library. To the north is the ruined tower of Lag, once home of the hated Grierson of Lag.
North of Dumfries, en route to Thornhill, the River Nith runs through a gorge. Thomas Carlyle’s father, a stone-mason, helped to build the bridge. Nearby is Dalswinton Loch where a steamship was tried out in 1788. Robert Burns farmed close by at Ellisland Farm.
Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation providers
If you wish to have your site included in these pages please read and complete the add Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation Form.
Self Catering holiday accommodation in Dumfries and Galloway:
WEST: Self catering accommodation in Stranraer & Cairnryan | Self catering accommodation in Portpatrick and The Mull of Galloway | Self catering accommodation in Newton Stewart & Creetown | Self catering accommodation in Wigtown & Whithorn |
CENTRAL: Self Catering in New Galloway & The Galloway Forest Park | Self catering accommodation in Gatehouse of Fleet | Self catering accommodation in Castle Douglas | Self catering accommodation in Kirkcudbright
DUMFRIES: Self catering accommodation in Dumfries Town Centre & nearby | Self catering accommodation in Thornhill, Moniaive & Penpont | Self catering accommodation in Sanquhar and Wanlockhead | Self catering accommodation in Dalbeattie and the Coast (Kippford, Rockcliffe & Sandyhills)
EAST: Self catering accommodation in Moffat | Self catering accommodation in Lockerbie & Lochmaben | Self catering accommodation in Annan | Self catering accommodation in Langholm | Self catering accommodation in Gretna and Gretna Green