Self Catering in Newton Stewart
Self catering holiday cottages and accommodation in Newton Stewart, Galloway Forest Park and New Galloway area of Dumfries and Galloway in south west Scotland.
Below these Self Catering listings you will find information about the Galloway Forest Park, Newton Stewart and New Galloway area.
This trim and beautifully appointed holiday cottage stands on a quiet country lane a mile from the pretty town of Newton Stewart (all facilities, cinema, swimming pool) in ‘Bonnie Galloway’ in southwest Scotland. Its name will resonate with mountain bikers for it is only 4m from the famous Kirroughtree Trail, winner of the MBR Trail of the Year.
With a secluded suntrap garden (furniture, BBQ) and plenty of parking, it also has storage for bikes and a huge empty barn behind where children can play. Inside it is spacious, bright, comfortable and well and stylishly furnished.
The nearby Galloway Forest Park has more great biking trails. There is a riding school within half a mile of the cottage. Golf, walking, water sports, fishing, bird watching - notably the Galloway Kite Trail and the RSPB reserve at the Wood of Cree - are available locally, while there are ovely beaches at nearby Cardoness and Mossyard
Tel: 44 (0) 1835 822277 | Web: uniquescotland.com/kirroughtree_cottage
Bed linen, towels, electricity and £20 of oil-CH INCLUDED. Wi-fi available. Two pets by arrangement. Sorry, no smoking
Other self catering accommodation in Newton Stewart and nearby:
- Ailsa Self Catering Cottage Newton Stewart - Tel: 01556 504030
- Barhill Farm Cottages Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 402233
- Cairnsmore Stable Cottage Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 404085
- Craig Cottage Newton Stewart - Tel: 01237 459828
- Craighindle Newton Stewart
- Dirnow Schoolhouse Kirkcowan, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 830297
- Glenmalloch Lodge Minigaff, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01628 825925
- Hilltop Newton Stewart
- Holmpark Holiday Cottages Minigaff, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 402499
- Kirkland Mill Self Catering Holiday Cottage, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 820 354
- Kirroughtree Cottage, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01835 822277
- Lord Galloway Lodges Newton Stewart
- Minnow Cottage Minnigaff, near Newton Stewart
- Nether Barr Steading Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 404326
- North Barnkirk Holidays Self-catering Accommodation - Tel: 01671 401038
- Willow Cottage Palnure, Newton Stewart - Tel: 0141 573 0938
Other self catering accommodation in the New Galloway & Galloway Forest Park area:
- Brigton But N Bens Bargrennan, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 840278
- Cloud Cuckoo Lodge, St. John's Town of Dalry - Tel: 01644 430375
- Curleywee Cottage Bargrennan, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 840243
- Glencaird Farmhouse Bargrennan, Newton Stewart - Tel: 07831 835 148
- The Hen Hoose Nether Barr
- Knocknon Cottage Balmaclellan - Tel: 07984 673231
- Longshot Cottage Balmaclellan - Tel: 01644 420636
- River Ken Cottage, St. John's Town of Dalry - Tel: 01644 460660
- Rowan Cottage New Galloway - Tel: 01644 420211
- The Hideaway, Dalry - Tel: 07791124568
- The Orangery Bargrennan, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 820476
- Waterside Lodge, Nr Knowe, Newton Stewart - Tel: 01671 840 252
- Wayside, Dalry - Tel: 01556 504030
About Newton Stewart, Galloway Forest Park, Creetown, Minnigaff and New Galloway area
A picturesque market town, Newton Stewart is sited on the slopes above the River Cree and is a pleasant mixture of building styles and materials with the fine bridge over the river built in 1813 by John Rennie.
Newton Stewart Museum exhibits nursery, tradesmen's tools, dairy, kitchen, smithy, textiles, local photographs and other aspects of natural and social history.
Newton Stewart is within reach of coast, forest and mountains, and some of Galloway’s finest scenery is to be found here.
To the east, rising steeply to 711 metres (2,332ft), is Cairnsmore of Fleet round which Richard Hannay was pursued in John Buchan’s ’The Thirty-nine Steps’.
To the north is Merrick at 843 metres (2,766ft), the highest mountain in southern Scotland, together with several other summits of more than 610 metres (2,000ft). Merrick can be climbed from Glen Trool (see below).
The Southern Upland Way crosses this area and although much of it is demanding walking, the section along Glen Trool is easier and can be enjoyed by less experienced walkers. Glen Trool is a favourite beauty spot well provided with signposted trails and picnic areas. The loch, long and narrow with craggy hillsides, the mixture of deciduous and coniferous trees and tumbling waterfalls is all reminiscent of Highland Scenery.
Much of this area is within Galloway Forest Park - the largest forest park in Britain covering 300 square miles of spectacular forest, moorland and lochs. Forest drives, walking, cycling and horesriding routes are available whilst the artworks and monuments and spectacular view points provide plenty to see. The Forest Park also houses a Red Deer Range, Wild Goat Park, Clatteringshaws and Kirroughtree Visitor centres and Bruce's Stone - one of two in the forest commemorating Robert the Bruce's first triumph over the English.
Once a busy port from which granite, quarried nearby, was shipped. The old harbour and waterfront has some excellent 18th Century and early 19th Century houses. A clock tower commemorates Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. The old school is now the Creetown Gem Rock Museum housing a world famous collection of gems, rocks, crystals and fossils.
Across the River from Newton Stewart is Minnigaff, which is the older settlement, though today much smaller than Newton Stewart. There are traces of a former motte at Minnigaff and the village lies on an old road followed especially by pilgrims on their way to Whithorn Priory.
Follow "The Queen's Way" from Newton Stewart and you will arrive in New Galloway, the smallest Royal Burgh in Scotland established by Viscount Kenmure in 1633. The fine granite bridge was built by Rennie. This district needed 10,000 Highland troops to subdue the Covenanters. Now a holiday centre with golf, fishing and watersports in the vicinity, and also the RSPB Ken-Dee Nature Reserve.
Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation providers
If you wish to have your site included in these pages please read and complete the add Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation Form.
Self Catering holiday accommodation in Dumfries and Galloway:
Self catering accommodation in Dumfries Town and surrounding area | Self catering accommodation in Moniaive and Thornhill | Self catering accommodation in Sanquhar and Wanlockhead | Self catering accommodation in Annan | Self catering accommodation in Lockerbie and Lochmaben | Self catering accommodation in Gretna and Gretna Green | Self catering accommodation in Langholm | Self catering accommodation in Moffat| Self catering accommodation in Newton Stewart, New Galloway & Galloway Forest Park | Self catering accommodation in Portpatrick and The Mull of Galloway | Self catering accommodation in Stranraer, Luce Bay and Cairnryan | Self catering accommodation in Wigtown, Whithorn and The Machars | Self catering accommodation in Castle Douglas | Self catering accommodation in Dalbeattie and the Coast (Auchencairn, Kippford and Sandyhills) | Self catering accommodation in Gatehouse of Fleet | Self catering accommodation in Kirkcudbright