Self Catering Accommodation in Wigtown and Whithorn
Self catering holiday cottages and accommodation in the Wigtown, Isle of Whithorn and Wigtownshire area in Dumfries and Galloway in south west Scotland.
Below these Self Catering listings you will also find information about the Isle of Whithorn, Wigtown and the surrounding area.
Drumfad Holiday Homes
2 luxury holiday cottages which can sleep upto 6 each.
The Cottage and Barn are adjoining with a connecting door that locks, allowing both properties to be let separately or together.
Tel: 07759 807140
Inchlonaig House, Port William
A large luxury house located in the picturesque village of Port William. Family and pet friendly, near a sandy beach.
Ideally situated for mountain biking, cycling and walking. Sleeps upto 10.
Tel: 07787 318364
West Barr Holiday Park Cottage, Port William
Delightful 2 bedroom cottage, sleeps 4, pets welcome on the Shores of Luce Bay.
Also, holiday homes for sale on recently modernised holiday park. See website for details.
Tel: 01988 700 367
Other self catering accommodation in Wigtown and nearby:
- Borrowmoss Farm Self Catering Cottages Wigtown - Tel: 07557 764380
- Crabapple Cottage Bladnoch - Tel: 07824 696454
- Lochancroft Wigtown - Tel: 01988 402499
- Machars Cottage Wigtown - Tel: 01353 661294
- Rockville Cottage, nr Wigtown - Tel: 01628 475835
- West Mains Cottage Kirkinner
- Woodpecker Cottage Bladnoch -Tel: 01988 500517
Other self catering in Garlieston and Port William:
- Cladach Holiday Home Garlieston - Tel: 07421728092
- Drumfad Holiday Homes Port William - Tel: 07759 807140
- Glenalmar Auchenmalg, Port William - Tel: 01988 500203
- Harbourside Garlieston - Tel: 01988 850739
- Inchlonaig House Port William - Tel: 07787 318364
- Kilfillan Cottage Garlieston - Tel: 01294 650082
- Orchard Cottage Garlieston - Tel: 01988 600600
- Park Cottage Garlieston - Tel: 01988 700208
- Pavilion Cottage Garlieston - Tel: 01988 600600
- Tide's Reach Garlieston - Tel: 01556 612322
- West Barr Holiday Park Cottage, Port William - Tel: 01988 700 367
Other self catering accommodation in Whithorn and Isle of Whithorn:
- Cairndoon Steading Whithorn - Tel: 01988 500895
- Faldarroch Farm Whithorn - Tel: 01988 500649
- Glenalmar Cottage Whithorn - Tel: 01988 500203
- Low Craiglemine Organic Farm Whithorn - Tel: 01988 500730
- Miller's Cottage Whithorn - Tel: 01988 500 911
- Ninian's Landing Self Catering Isle of Whithorn - Tel: 01244 356890
- No. 5 Laigh Isle Isle of Whithorn - Tel: 02870 868396
- Pend House Whithorn - Tel: 0131 458 0305
- Rispain Cottage Whithorn, - Tel: 01988 500223
Other self catering accommodation in Creetown and nearby:
- Barholm Croft Self Catering Creetown - Tel: 01671 820440
- Glenquicken Farm Self Catering Holiday Cottages Creetown - Tel: 01671 820593
- Kirkbride Farmhouse Carsluith - Tel: 07834 735725
- Steading Cottage Creetown - Tel: 01671 820236
Coming for a holiday? About the Wigtown, Whithorn, Isle of Whithorn, Monreith and Port William area
Driving along the A75, it is easy to miss out this peninsula - that would be a pity for the landscape is unusual and it contains many of the most interesting relics of Galloway's history.
Wigtown is Scotland's National Booktown and you can enjoy browsing the shelves of many specialist bookshops here.
Formerly the medieval capital of the region with a busy harbour, castle and priory, Wigtown was given the status of a royal burgh in 1292.
It remained an important harbour, with quays along the River Bladnoch, until the early years of this century when many channels were blocked by silt. To realise how the sea has retreated, look at the stake to which two martyred women (pictured right) were tied, in a place where it would now be totally impossible for anyone to drown.
The large square in the centre of the town, with the houses painted in different colours and two market crosses, is typical of the unhurried and friendly atmosphere of the region. For interesting places to go, there is a choice between a martyrs’ memorial on a hilltop with magnificent views, Bladnoch Distillery and visitor centre - a working distillery since 2002 producing a single malt whisky or nearby Torhouse Stone Circle; a bronze age stone circle consisting of 19 boulders.
Wigtown is also home to the Wigtown Bay Visitor Centre with live TV images of the Galloway Ospreys and the wetlands at Wigtown Bay Local Nature Reserve (the largest in Britain).
Much of the country here is fertile farmland and rolling hills, but leaving Wigtown and heading south the scenery changes and you can discover:
The place where St. Ninian founded the first Christian church in Scotland in the 4th Century and site of important excavations, ’The Whithorn Dig’. The Whithorn Story uses models and archaeological finds to tell the story of the town of Whithorn, it's church and pilgrimage centre.
ISLE OF WHITHORN
On a rocky shore, sheltered by a headland, this was a busy 19th Century port, which also employed a number of men in shipbuilding. Now popular with yachtsmen and providing opportunities for sea-angling, the Isle of Whithorn was believed to be a landing place for St. Ninian and long a place of pilgrimage. A small ruined chapel dates from the 13th Century and is now a focal point for those wishing to bless their wedding. 3 miles south of Whithorn is St Ninian's Cave reached by a short woodland walk and then onto beach. Weathered crosses carved on the walls of the cave are still visible.
Set round a bay, formerly a haunt of smugglers and now a popular holiday village (thanks to it's sandy beaches) and home to Monreith Animal World. A memorial to the novelist Gavin Maxwell who wrote ’Ring of Bright Water’ and ’The House of Elrig’, is on a headland.
Founded by Sir William Maxwell in 1775, with fishing and shipbuilding trades, but also a noted place for smugglers, where two armed luggers with 50 men apiece were once discovered about to land their goods. Now a holiday place with a slipway for boats.
Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation providers
If you wish to have your site included in these pages please read and complete the add Dumfries and Galloway Accommodation Form.
Self Catering holiday accommodation in Dumfries and Galloway:
Self catering accommodation in Dumfries Town and surrounding area | Self catering accommodation in Moniaive and Thornhill | Self catering accommodation in Sanquhar and Wanlockhead | Self catering accommodation in Annan | Self catering accommodation in Lockerbie and Lochmaben | Self catering accommodation in Gretna and Gretna Green | Self catering accommodation in Langholm | Self catering accommodation in Moffat| Self catering accommodation in Newton Stewart, New Galloway & Galloway Forest Park | Self catering accommodation in Portpatrick and The Mull of Galloway | Self catering accommodation in Stranraer, Luce Bay and Cairnryan | Self catering accommodation in Wigtown, Whithorn and The Machars | Self catering accommodation in Castle Douglas | Self catering accommodation in Dalbeattie and the Coast (Auchencairn, Kippford and Sandyhills) | Self catering accommodation in Gatehouse of Fleet | Self catering accommodation in Kirkcudbright